of Tourist Interest
Painting and Lithography of Bikramkhol.
at about 25km. from Jharsuguda there is a village known as Banjari.
In the vicinity of the village the ancient cave of Bikramkhol is
located. In this inaccessible dense forest ancient people lived
surviving on fruits, roots and animal meat. During 4000 BC there
was evolution of human civilization in the region and a script was
developed by them.
are some ancient script engraved in the wall of Bikramkhol and also
paintings of animals. Circular holes have been dug in the wall where
weapons, dress and other articles of use were being kept suspended.
Even on the floors circular holes have been dug to pound the grains.
Bikramkhol has been declared a tourist spot by the Central
Government and tourists, historians and researchers from all over
the country and abroad.
of Hill Forts of Ulapgarh
at a distance of 21 Kms. from Jharsuguda there is a village known as
Lajkura. In the vicinity there is a hill known as “Maheswar Pahad”
where the remains of an old holy fort attracts the attention of
historians, researchers and tourists.
the foot of Maheswar Pahad, there is small village called “Ulap”.
About one kilometer from the village, the ruins of Ulapgarh are
situated. At this place, the Maheswar pahad is about 1000 ft high
and on the top there is a huge plain surface. On this rectangular
plain stone surface the fort of Ulapgarh had been constructed. The
plain stone fine surface is about 400 metre long and 250 metre
wide. On the eastern side of the fort there are almost about 7 kms.
Of densely forested Baramunda Hills and on the Western side, the
Belpahar Railway Station is located at a distance of 5 kms. On the
north there is a dense forest stretching up to Hemgir and in the
South stretching up to Badjob village.
ft. wide and 150 mts. Long moat had been constructed which stretches
from east to west. There was a Sivalingam and a place of worship in
the Fort. A well had been dug on the stone floor which provided
drinking water to the inmates of the Fort through out the year.
the stone floor, there are many square holes and 70 round holes.
The diameters of the hole vary from 1-3 inch. Wooden poles used to
be put on these holes to support super structures for living room,
store room, arsenals, Kitchen, sleeping room etc.
1000 people could take shelter at Ulapgarh at a time. On the western
side of Ulapgarh and down hill there is Ushakothi cave. On the
walls and floors of this cave also there are many circular and
square holes. Probably the defence personnel of the fort used
to suspend there clothes and other belonging from wooden poles
fitted to these holes. The soldiers of the dense
forest of Maheswar hill could easily over power and defeat the
enemies before they could climb up the hill and attack the fort.
believed that Ulapgarh was being used as a residential fort by some
kings of “Naja” Dynasty. Research is going on by various Indian and
Foreign researchers and Historian in this direction.
Padmasini Temple of Padampur
distance of 70 Kms. from Jharsuguda, there is Hirakud reservoir on
the left side of village Bhikampali. Just at the point where the
Mahanadi leaves the than Madhya predesh and enters
Orissa to pour in to the Hirakud reservoir, there was once a town
called as "Padampur". The famous Sanskrit dramatist “Bhabahbhoti”
was believed to be born here. Moreover, it is said that “Bajrajan’
Tantra marg of Buddhism took origin here.
Goddess Padmasini is the reigning deity of this town. The temple of
“Padmashini’ was constructed in 7th century A.D. by a Chalukya king of
South. However the original temple had met decay and was believed
to be reconstructed by the Chouhan king of Sambalpur in 16th
century. A look at the “Jagmohan’ of original temple reveals
striking resemblance with architecture of the Chalukya era.
the stone statue of goddess Padmasini bears striking similarities
with the style of the Chalukya period. In the whole
Orissa Padmasini Temple is a unique example of Chalukya art and
architecture. In 1956 Padampur town was submerged in Hirakud
reservoir, but the deity has been shifted to a new temple at nearby
had constructed the temple in the 7th century puzzles many historian &
Ramchandi: An ancient Shaktipitha
This important place of ‘Shakti Worship’ is located 10 km. away from
Jharsuguda town inside a cave.
Rampur Dandapat (Jamindari) was created during the reigning
‘Chhatrasai Dev’ the 7th King of Sambalpur (1657-1695). One Khytriya
youth of Rajpotana belonging to Gaharwal family ‘Prannath Singh’
with his velour subdued the local aborigines of
Rampur area in IB basin and received Rampur area as Jagirdari from
Chhatrasai Dev, the ruling king of Sambalpur. The Rampur Jamindari
had an area of 786 sq.miles.
the remote past Davi Ramchandi is being worshiped as the reigning
region. The Shrine is famous not only on the
area but throughout the western Orissa. Many pilgrims and devotees
come to the Rampur cave from far and near to visit and worship the
Koilighughar water fall (Lakhanpur)
The Koilighugar water fall is situated 55 kilometer away from
Jharsuguda in the Lakhanpur block near the village Kushmelbahal. A
rivulet named ‘Ahiraj’ takes origin from the ‘Chhuikhanch’ forest
and while flowing through its rocky belt falls from a height of 200
ft. creating the water fall of Koilighugar. After the fall the
rivulet flows west wards to merge into the river ‘Mahanadi’. It is a
picturesque beauty spot with its sylvan back drop.
Inside the fall there is a Shivalingam known as ‘Maheswarnath’. The
lingam is submerged in water and not ordinarily visible. If
somebody tries to see it from inside the water in winter and summer
the lingum is visible under the reflected sunlight, hence for the
benefit of the pilgrims another Sivalingam has been created outside
is an “Ashram’ of a holy man “Saham swami’ near the water fall.
Every year a fair sits in Kalighugar on the occasion of Sivaratri.
Ancient Siva Shrine of Jhadeswar Temple, Jharsuguda
The ‘Jhadeswar’ temple is located at a distance of about 1 km. from
the Jharsuguda Railway station beyond the old town ‘Purunabasti’
inside a small forest.
is a self appearing (Swayambhu) Sivalingam here the actual age of
which is unknown. But during the reign of ‘Govind Singh’ Jamindar of
Jharsuguda the lingam was being worshiped inside a hut made up of
leaves. In 1916 a Gujarati contractor named “Mulju Jagmal’ erected
a small temple here. The Jamindar of Jharsuguda arranged Savayats
for daily worship and donated agricultural lands for maintenance of
the temple and puja.
temple was renovated in 1969 by philanthropist from Calcutta
1916 a fair takes place here on every Sivaratri day. The Jhadeswar
temple area has important significance in the history of
Jharsuguda. On the eastern side of the temple the original
‘Jharguda’ settlement has grown. On its northern side there was a
settlement of ‘Gond subject’ of the Jamindar of Jharsuguda.
Jhadeswar temple is recognised as original Siva shrine.
‘Adyaswambhu pitha’ of Jharsuguda. A Small beautiful garden has been
grown near the Jhadeswar temple which is used as a picnic spot
because of its scenic beauty.
Shree Pahadeswar Temple, Jharsuguda
situated at the top of a small hill on the eastern side of
Jharsuguda and is another place of attraction in the District.
temple was constructed by a Gujrati Contractor Lt. Bitthal bhai Saha
in 1921. With its natural surrounding viz. Garden, Ashsram etc and
because of easy accessibility, it attracts a lot of visitors. From
the hill top a bird’s eye view of Jharsuguda town enthralls the
Shrine of Mahadebpali
the South East direction of Jharsuguda and on the bank of river
Bhaden there is an ancient Sivashrine’ at Mahadebpali. The study of
local history reveals that, there was a small kingdom of a ‘Haihay
King’ in this region. A Siva temple had been constructed by the king
on the river bank. The king of Ratnapur (Surguja) attacked this
kingdom in concern with the marriage of the only daughter of the
Haihay king’ and during this aggression the ‘Haihay King’ was killed
and his kingdom was destroyed.
the 16th Century ‘Balram Dev’ the 1st Chouhan king of Sambalpur
occupied this fort and there was a war between the Sambalpur king
and the Ratnapur king, as a result the importance of the
‘Bhogaragarh’ fort declined.
long time the ‘Bhogaragarh’ fort and the surrounding temples
remained abandoned. As a result the temples near the fort decayed. A
few years back the villagers of Mahadevpali constructed a new temple
at the original site.
the history of local area is clearly linked with this temple it is
considered to be one of the Astaswayambhus of Jharsuguda district.
Every year fair takes place here on the day of Sivaratri.
Historical Kolabira Fort:
fort is situated at a distance of 17 kms. From the Jharsuguda town
on the bank of river ‘Telen’.
The Kolabira Jamindari was formed during the reign of Lt. Jayat
Singh (1781-1818) the Chohan king of Sambalpur. It had an area of
278 sq.kms... It was bounded on north by villages Arda, Dhutura,
Baijapli and Bamra kingdom. One Sansadhar Singh was the 1st
Jamindar of Kolabira. During the 13th Century the ‘Gond’ tribe was
ruling the Gondwara region (Modern Madhya Pradesh and Chhattisgarh).
At that time small Gond kingdoms such as Kherlu, Betal etc. were
created. During the later part of 14th Century, the Gond kingdom
disintegrated. As a result the ferocious Gonds migrated in large
numbers to the Sambalpur kingdom and settled there.
During the 16th Century the kings of Sambalpur appreciating the
physical prowess, valor and loyalty of Gonds gave them shelter as
subjects and the Gond Chieftains were given responsible posts in the
earning. Jayant Singh the King of Sambalpur had appointed ‘Sansadhar Singh’ as the Jamindar of Kolabira.
Sansadhar Singh his son ‘Karunakar Singh’ (Nayak) took charge of
Kolabira Jamindari. At this time Maharaja Sai was the king of
Sambalpur and after his death his widow Queen Mohankumari was made
the queen, but the actual administration was done by the British.
As a result, there was an armed revolt started against the British.
The queen was sent as pensional to
Cuttack and the British appointed an old Khytriya named ‘Narayan
Singh’ as the king of Sambalpur.
BirSurendraSai, the Chauhan Jamindar of Khinda started armed
revolution against British and Karunakara Naik the Jamindar of
Kolabira Joined the revaluation as a follower and his property was
confiscated because of his support to Surendrasai. The shrewd
British authorities declared clemency to those who surrendered and
to escape gallows and to get back the Jamindari. The rebel Kolabira
Jamindar alternately surrendered. But illegally and treacherously
he was hanged in the jail premises of Sambalpur on
February, 1858. The British army in the mean time had blown the
palace of Kolabira Jamindar by Cannons, later the son of Karunakar
Nayak appealed before the ‘Court of Wards’ at Nagpur and got back
his confiscated Jamindari and properties in 1860. The English
repaired the damaged palace and fort as compensation. At present the
descendants of Kolabira Jamindar recide in the premises of the old
fort which is grossly damaged. In the history of freedom struggle
Kolabira is known as ‘Agni Tirtha’. Many people including historian
and researchers visit this place often.